From Seed to Harvest – Online Courses 3A and 3B
How to grow 40 vegetables, become an expert
**NO DIG GARDENING, COURSE BOOK 1 OFFER!**
**APRIL ONLY – FREE CALENDAR WITH ALL ONLINE COURSE PURCHASES**
We offer a free copy of Charles’ latest book – No Dig Gardening, Course Book 1 – with the purchase of any one of the online courses: 1, 2, 3A or 3B, or online course packages: 1+2 or 3A+3B.
If you would like to be sent a book and calendar, please email [email protected] with the following information:
- Your name
- Your online course order number
- Your address
- Any special delivery instructions
All promo book orders will be sent 2nd Class for UK orders and Economy for International orders.
Please note: this offer is for one book and one calendar per eligible customer, not one book and one calendar per purchased course.
A package of both of Charles’ new ‘From Seed to Harvest’ courses:
3A – The First 15 Lessons (18 Vegetables) and 3B – The Second 15 Lessons (22 Vegetables)
Save time, enjoy the simplicity of growing with Charles’ methods
“Charles is such a great teacher and the videos are excellent in bringing his words to life. If anyone is contemplating purchasing, I say definitely do it!”
What to expect
- The confidence to grow and successful results.
- 40 vegetables in 30 lessons, from sowing to harvest and everything in between.
- Lessons have the same structure and there are many new, exclusive videos.
- You have Charles’ advice at your fingertips.
- Key documents to download and save.
Once purchased, you have lifetime access to both courses.
In the list below, p = photo with captions, w = words, v = video (YT = YouTube video, all the others are new, and unique to this course.)
- A glossary of terms, a timeline of harvesting dates and a table of plant families, all downloadable as PDFs.
- An introduction to the course, the seasons and weather.
Lessons (1–15 Course 3A, 16–30 Course 3B):
- Aubergine/Eggplant/Brinjal: 32p, 2740w, 2v (1 YT)
- Beans, Broad/Fava: 52p, 3720w, 1v
- Beans – French and Runner: 58p, 4630w, 3v
- Beetroot: 42p, 3135w, 1v (YT)
- Broccoli: 57p, 4185w, 1v
- Brussels sprouts: 36p, 3240w, 1v
- Cabbage: 64p, 4050w, 1v
- Carrot: 50p, 5645w, 1v
- Cauliflower and Kohlrabi: 47p, 3600w, 1v
- Celery and Celeriac: 58p, 4175w, 3v (1 YT)
- Chard and Leaf Beet: 38p, 3020w, 1v
- Chicory/Radicchio: 69p, 4425w, 1v
- Chinese/Napa Cabbage and Oriental Leaves: 55p, 4000w, 1v
- Courgette/Zucchini, including Summer Squash: 45p, 4010w, no video
- Cucumber – Cordon and Ridge: 60p, 6320w, 1v
- Florence Fennel: 2750w, 35p, 1v
- Garlic: 4350w, 55p, 2v (1 YT)
- Kale: 3810w, 61p, 2v (1 YT)
- Leeks: 4440w, 56p, 2v (1 YT)
- Lettuce: 5370w, 102p, 2v (1 YT)
- Onion and Salad Onion: 6190w, 93p, 2v
- Parsnip: 3700w, 35p, 1v
- Peas: 5530w, 87p, 2v
- Potatoes: 7200w, 86p, 3v (2YT)
- Four Salads for Winter: 5280, 73w, 1v
- Spinach: 4390w, 63p, 1v (YT)
- Squash for Winter: 4810, 56p, 2v
- Swede/Rutabaga and Turnip: 5440w, 66p, 2v (1 YT)
- Sweetcorn, Melon and Capsicums: 8470w, 78p, 3v (2YT)
- Tomatoes: 9650w, 111p, 1v
I explain each lesson’s vegetable(s) with the same outline structure, describing each vegetable’s special needs and qualities, so that successful harvests are likely.
The structure follows these headings:
- Introduction to vegetable
- Harvest period
- Why grow them
- Suitable for containers/shade?
- Conditions for success
- Sow and propagate
- Sowing conditions
- Sowing time
- Pot on?
- Transplant, size, time of year
- Water – how often, how much, extra mulch to retain water?
- Container growing
- Prune and train plants/thin fruit
- Harvest time and method
- Potential problems – which pests are likely and when, disease, other likely difficulties
- Follow with
There is a quiz for each lesson, leading to a certificate for each course, when you finish them both with 100% passes from all quizzes.
Each lesson can now be purchased individually – discounts are available with the purchase of multiple lessons.
There is occasional reference to weeding, feeding and basic bed preparation. With no dig these are the same for all vegetables, and are minimal jobs. Soil and soil preparation is far easier than often made out.
If you are not yet practising no dig, it’s simple. The key part is to stop digging.
Then rake level and cover the surface with a thin layer of compost, into which you sow and transplant. Course 1 has details about smothering weeds when starting out, if you have a lot, together with advice on making and using compost.
Enjoy Course 3 even more, when you are skilled at the basics of growing, enabling you to concentrate on the details of variation for each vegetable. Course 2 explains propagation, transplanting methods, spacing, picking, watering, container growing, perennial vegetables, and winter cropping.
Both courses written by Charles Dowding in 2021.
Videos filmed and edited mainly by Edward Dowding, and created in 2019–2021.
Edited by Anna Maskell.
Course 3A quizzes by Ellie Wimshurst, with Charles’s edits and additions.
Course 3B quizzes by James Blair, with Charles’s edits and additions.
From Seed to Harvest – Online Courses 3A and 3B