From Seed to Harvest – Online Course 3A
Gain a complete understanding of 18 vegetables
**NO DIG GARDENING, COURSE BOOK 1 OFFER ALONG WITH CHARLES’ 2021 CALENDAR!**
We are offering a free copy of Charles’ latest book – No Dig Gardening, Course Book 1 – as well as Charles’ 2021 Calendar with the purchase of any one of the online courses: 1, 2, 3A or 3B, or online course packages: 1+2 or 3A+3B.
If you would like to be sent a book and calendar, please email [email protected] with the following information:
- Your name
- Your online course order number
- Your address
- Any special delivery instruction
All promo book orders will be sent 2nd Class for UK orders and Economy for International orders.
Please note: this offer is for one book and one calendar and per eligible customer, not one book and one calendar per purchased course.
Save time, and enjoy the simplicity of growing with Charles’ methods.
What to expect
- Learn how to grow 18 vegetables in 15 lessons, from sowing to harvest and everything in between.
- All lessons have the same easy-to-follow format, and almost all have exclusive videos.
- You will gain the confidence to grow, with Charles’ advice at your fingertips.
- There are key documents to download and save.
Once purchased, you have lifetime access
Charles is such a great teacher and the videos are excellent in bringing his words to life. If anyone is contemplating purchasing, I say definitely do it!
Anna Pavard, April 2021
In the list below, p = photo with captions, w = words, v = video (YT = YouTube video, all the others are new, and unique to this course.)
- A glossary of terms, a timeline of harvesting dates and a table of plant families, all downloadable as PDFs.
- An introduction to the course, the seasons and weather.
- Aubergine/Eggplant/Brinjal: 32p, 2740w, 2v (1 YT)
- Beans, Broad/Fava: 52p, 3720w, 1v
- Beans – French and Runner: 58p, 4630w, 3v
- Beetroot: 42p, 3135w, 1v (YT)
- Broccoli: 57p, 4185w, 1v
- Brussels sprouts: 36p, 3240w, 1v
- Cabbage: 64p, 4050w, 1v
- Carrot: 50p, 5645w, 1v
- Cauliflower and Kohlrabi: 47p, 3600w, 1v
- Celery and Celeriac: 58p, 4175w, 3v (1 YT)
- Chard and Leaf Beet: 38p, 3020w, 1v
- Chicory/Radicchio: 69p, 4425w, 1v
- Chinese/Napa Cabbage and Oriental Leaves: 55p, 4000w, 1v
- Courgette/Zucchini, including Summer Squash: 45p, 4010w, no video
- Cucumber – Cordon and Ridge: 60p, 6320w, 1v
I explain each lesson’s vegetable(s) with the same outline structure, describing each vegetable’s special needs and qualities, so that successful harvests are likely.
The structure follows these headings:
- Introduction to vegetable
- Harvest period
- Why grow them
- Suitable for containers/shade?
- Conditions for success
- Sow and propagate
- Sowing conditions
- Sowing time
- Pot on?
- Transplant, size, time of year
- Water – how often, how much, extra mulch to retain water?
- Container growing
- Prune and train plants/thin fruit
- Harvest time and method
- Potential problems – which pests are likely and when, disease, other likely difficulties
- Follow with
A quiz for each lesson leads to a certificate, when you finish the course with 100% passes from all quizzes.
Each lesson can be purchased individually – discounts available with the purchase of multiple lessons.
Course 3B has the second 15 lessons for 22 vegetables, from fennel to tomato – £180 (many lessons are longer), and half-price when bought with this one.
Both courses 3A and 3B can be purchased together at the discounted price of £250.
There is occasional reference to weeding, feeding and basic bed preparation. With no dig these are the same for all vegetables, and are minimal jobs. Soil and soil preparation is far easier than often made out.
If you are not yet practising no dig, it’s simple. The key part is to stop digging.
Then rake level and cover the surface with a thin layer of compost, into which you sow and transplant. Course 1 has details about smothering weeds when starting out, if you have a lot, together with advice on making and using compost.
Enjoy Course 3 even more, when you are skilled at the basics of growing, enabling you to concentrate on the details of variation for each vegetable. Course 2 explains propagation, transplanting methods, spacing, picking, watering, container growing, perennial vegetables, and winter cropping.
Course 3A written by Charles Dowding in 2021.
Videos filmed and edited mainly by Edward Dowding, and created in 2019-2020.
Edited by Anna Maskell and quizzes by James Blair, with Charles’s edits and additions.
From Seed to Harvest – Online Course 3A